Keep it simple, silly

Friday, June 23, 2006

Rhythm

Last night I sat outside and watched the fireflies blinking. A plane drifted overhead and joined them, tail trailing red and white lights. Last night I held a firefly in my hand. I would like to make a firefly lantern: dozens of fireflies in a jar, ideal for moonless nights.

The wind this morning is restless. It shares its rhythm with the trees, drifting in and out like sleepy dreams on a lazy morning. Change in the weather warning.

There is a rumbling in my stomach that chants like a Tibetan monk singing, “Feed me, feed me.”

And E wraps her arms around me in a way that says, “Love me, love me.”

The television is a mirror, the washing basket a history lesson, and the dog barking in the distance a call to the gods. They are not listening.

An airplane rumbles overhead, getting lost in the breeze down here; the tall grass dances with the leaves; the barn at attention, unblinking.

There is a rhythm to all of this. Can you find it?

2 Comments:

Blogger Jade said...

When are you going to write a book and where will I be able to buy it from, Jamie?

6:07 pm, June 23, 2006

 
Blogger Jamie Reygle said...

Oh Jade, I wish I knew. Thanks so much for the encouragement.

7:46 pm, June 23, 2006

 

Post a Comment

<< Home