Keep it simple, silly

Thursday, July 06, 2006

Immigration blues

Ohmigosh, this immigration business is trying. You’ve really got to want to do it, I’m finding. I guess it’s a good test to see how dinkum you are: charge lots of money, make lots of red tape, give me umpteen hoops and see how far I’m willing to jump. If I get through all that, there’ll be some evidence at least that I’m not doing this for a lark.

I have no less than six (possibly seven) different forms that need to be completed by four different people, plus all the documentation that’s required to go with them (including five – count ‘em – five photos! (and one of E)). And then there’s the money: $325 here, $70 there, $180 for this, $190 for that, maybe another $170 there, oh, plus the medical, which shouldn’t give me much change for $265! Yikes!!

And all this needs to be signed, sealed, delivered by Tuesday week. Okay, so maybe I shouldn’t have left it so late, I’ll grant you that.

And the funniest bit about all this? They could reject my application and I’d have to do it all over again – only this time in Australia. It wouldn’t seem so funny to me at the time, I’m sure – but I wouldn’t blame you for laughing.

3 Comments:

Blogger Lee said...

Sounds awful...keep your chin up! I'm assuming your lovely bride isn't American either then? My sister in Taiwan has been trying to get a Visa to move her with her family for what seems a life-time. Hopefully China won't take over before she succeeds!

9:31 pm, July 06, 2006

 
Blogger Jamie Reygle said...

No, the lovely Elisha is American. It doesn't get any easier than this.

1:16 pm, July 07, 2006

 
Blogger Sahaja Sam said...

I do sympahise Jamie, having lived in non-my-nationality-countries for the last 20 years of my life, I know what you are going through. It is funny though, that the bloody U.S makes it sooooooooo difficult to stay legally when without foreigners staying, working and spending there, the whole farse would come tumbling down !!!

1:39 pm, July 07, 2006

 

Post a Comment

<< Home